In your device there is more than one IP address available. One is the private IP address and the other is Public IP address. In your router setting, you will find the IP address which is the physical IP address by which any other devices can be connected to your router. But a public IP address is that address which is provided by the Internet Service Provider (ISP). If any device is connected with your router but does not have a Public IP address in the network setting then that device is unable to connect to the internet even after connected to the router. This is the basic difference between the Router IP address and Public IP address.
Once any device connected to the router, each will be given the different unique IP addresses to create the network and connect the device to the main server. One can find the router IP address through a device that is connected to the router. Every router has its default IP address 192.168.01 or 192.168.1.1.
Why need to Find Router IP Address?
Now the main thing is why do you need to Find the Router IP address? If you ever wonder this question then here you will get possible reasons why you need to find the router’s IP address.
- To access the router’s control panel
- For configuration of the Static IP address
- To run the ping test to check the connectivity of any device to the router
- For changing the Username and Wi-Fi password
- Set up VPN Protocol
How to Find Router IP Address in Windows 10?
Nowadays most of the Windows users have Windows 10 as the Operating system on their laptops or PCs. So here we will tell an example of Windows 10 to find the Router IP address from the Network Sharing Center.
- First of all, click on the Start Menu
- Then go to the setting option
- Go to the “Network and Internet” option
- Now click on the “Network and Sharing Centre” button
- Now select the connection type. There can be 2 types. Wired or Wireless. If you have connected to the router with the wired connection then you will see the “Ethernet” option and if you have connected to the router wireless then you will find the “WI-FI” option. Click whichever your connection type. (here we have a wireless connection for example)
- After clicking on the Connection option, you will see pop-up windows as shown in the below image.
- Here you will see the “IPv4 Default Gateway” which is your router IP Address.
How to Find Router IP Address in Mac OS?
Mac OS is the second most used operating system in the world next to Windows. So, we will also see the example to Find Router IP Address from the Mac OS. It is quite a similar process conceptual but has different steps. So please follow the steps to find the router IP Address using Mac OS.
- At the desktop, you will see the “WireLess” icon. Click on it and select the “Network Preference” Option to open the setting.
- Here you will get the connection type by which you have connected to the router. Check the status from which you have connected. And then click on the Advanced button to explore the setting.
- Now there you will see some tabs, click on the TCP/IP tab to see the router IP address. Here you can check the IPv4 address and router IP address as shown in the below image.
- As shown in the above image, your Router’s IP Address is 10.0.1.1 and IPv4 Address is 10.0.1.4 which is the unique IP Address of the device to the router.
Now there is an alternate method available to check the Router IP address using CMD (Command prompt).
How to Find Router IP Address Using CMD (Command Prompt)?
CMD is the easiest method to find the router IP Address from a Windows OS device. There are so many other tasks that can be done through CMD. Here we will see the Use of Command prompt to find the router IP Address. Please follow the below steps to Find Router IP Address using CMD.
- To open the Command Prompt on your computer, click on the search bar and type “Run” or another way is using the short key “Windows + R”.
- It will pop-up new windows as shown in the below image. Now type “cmd” into the blank place. And hit enter to open the command prompt.
- Now the cmd window will open. Here you have to run the command by typing “ipconfig” and press enter. It will generate a few details of your system. See the below image for reference.
- After press Enter, it will generate your Default Gateway or Router IP Address. Also, many other details will be seen there like IPv4 address, Subnet mask, etc.
- Here in this example, we have connected through Mobile device hotspot so it is showing default gateway like 192.168.43.1 but if you are connected to the Wi-Fi or ethernet connection to the router of any company, you may mostly find default gateway like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 as the router IP Address.
Final Words: There should be any reason that you will need to have your router IP address. So, it is essential to know how to find the router IP Address in each type of operating system and its alternate methods if you are a server manager. Also, if you want to change the wi-fi password then you will be required to find the router IP Address.