c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable is an Error where users cannot find their desktop items. The source of this issue originates from corrupted updates or drive which results in desktop folder disappearance. Read this article to understand how to fix desktop is unavailable error in Windows 10.
If the desktop unavailable issue is related to a corrupt drive or process, rebooting the system is the best solution. However, shut down just simply save the data and process but in order to fix this issue, we need to initiate a full system shutdown. All file system buffers and processes are flushed out and once we boot our system, it will start everything from the scratch. This method will eliminate any corrupted system process that creates conflicts with the desktop.
- Open the menu and press the “Shift” button and select the shutdown option
This will close all the processes, programs and apps currently working on your system and shut it down. Once you restart the PC, look for the desktop items, if you still cannot find them and the error persists, find other methods.
Window Explorer is a file management system that displays all the content and helps with navigation. When a user encounters a desktop unavailable issue it could be because of a faulty window explorer process. Here is how to restart window explorer,
- Open task manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc)
- Find window explorer process, right-click on it to end task
- After that find the file tab and click on “Run new task” option
- Now type “Exploere.exe” in the box and clock the ok button
This will restart the whole Window explorer process from the beginning. It will clear all the corrupted processes associated with window explorer. However, if you are still facing “c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable” error and cannot find your desktop, try other methods.
One of the primary reasons behind this issue is the location of the desktop folder. When the user encounters the desktop is unavailable error, it indicates that the system is unable to find the desktop location. With this method, we can change desktop location to default so that the system can find the desktop folder. Here is the process,
- Open Run windows(Windows+R) and type “C:\Users”
- Now find desktop folder in users folder, right-click on it and go to properties
- Now go to the location tab and select “restore default” under desktop location
This will restore the desktop location back to default. However, if this method doesn’t solve the issue, we can restore desktop location from the registry editor. Here is the process,
- Open Run windows and type “Regedit”
- Now navigate to the user shell folder by following this path
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
- Now find the desktop, right-click on and select modify
- Make sure that value data is “%USERPROFILE%\Desktop” or “C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Desktop”
- If not, then change the values to any of the above locations
This will change the location of the desktop to its default place. But if this method doesn’t work, and users still encounter “desktop is unavailable” error, then try other methods.
When a user updates their windows, sometimes a new update creates a conflict between some of the older system folders and processes. We can uninstall the latest update to fix the “c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable” issue. Here is the process,
- Reboot your system, when it starts again press and hold shift to enter advance recovery mode
- Now select troubleshoot mode from the list
- Now select the advance option and then choose “Uninstall updates” option
- Now click on “Uninstall latest quality update”
- After that users need to log in with their credentials and approve the uninstall of the latest update. (windows will only remove the latest updates, users cannot choose the update)
Once users uninstall the latest update, restart the pc and find the error. If the issue originates from the latest window update, it will solve the issue right away. But if users can still find the desktop is unavailable, try other methods.
If any of the above methods are unable to solve the issue, we can create a new user profile and move the old data back to it. Here is the process,
- Open command prompt with administrator permission
- Now type the following command to create a new profile
net user /add usernamehere passwordhere
net localgroup administrators usernamehere /add
- Once users create a new profile, they can transfer the old desktop data to the new profile.
- Open file explorer (Windows+E)
- Now go to “view tab” and select the “option” menu and choose “change folder and search option” tab
- Then in folder options tab, select view tab, now select “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” and uncheck “Hide protected operating system files” option
- This will unhide all the system folder, now go to C drive → users → old_profile →username
- Now copy every file in the folder except, “Ntuser.dat”, “Ntuser.dat.log” and “Ntuser.ini”
- Now paste it the new_profile in user folder
- Now restart your PC
This method will copy all the desktop and users folders and items to the new profile. By using this method, users can fix issues with the old profile and solve the “c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable” error right away.
- Why my desktop is unavailable?
When users face the issue where they cannot find their desktop and encounter desktop is unavailable, it’s because of a corrupted window update or drive issue.
- How do I fix C Windows system32 Config Systemprofile desktop is unavailable?
Here are the methods to fix Desktop is unavailable in Windows 10,
- Initiate Full System Shutdown
- Restart Windows Explorer
- Reset Desktop Location
- Uninstall Latest Update
- Create a New User Profile
Sometimes when users install new updates on their system, they face issues like “c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable” error. In this article, we have provided information about how to fix the desktop is unavailable. We have mentioned different methods that can prove useful for the users to resolve the issue. If you have any questions about windows 10 no desktop, ask us in the comment section.