Steam is one of the best video games downloading platforms organized by the Valve in-corporation. Also, you can get an updated version of their games at the steam. Steam was launched in September 2003 by Valve as the name of Standalone Software.
Reportedly, most of the users may have faced the same error while playing the game at steam is “Content file locked steam error.” If you are also facing the same mistake, then here in this article, we are going to share the possible way to Permanently “Fix Content File Locked Steam Error.”
According to our study and knowledge, we have found six checkpoints to exclude this error called “Content File Locked Steam Error.” Kindly apply these all on your PC one by one to fix this error permanently. We assure you that by checking all these checkpoints, there are 100% chances to Fix errors.
How to Permanently fix Content File Locked Steam Error?
We have mentioned all these four checkpoints according to the maximum possible reason for this error occurring in the ascending order. That means that you should follow the inspections from 1st checkpoint to 4th checkpoints.
Check by Disabling Antivirus
- Open the Antivirus setting by clicking on the icon at the bottom right corner of your Display.
- Disable / Stop antivirus for a few times.
- Once the antivirus is being disabled, restart the system before going ahead to update the steam gaming update.
Now check the integrity of the gaming files with steam, and then please follow the below steps.
- Now restart the PC and Open the Steam software.
- Follow through the Library section and go to the Properties from it.
- Now in this Window, you have to select the “Local Files” Option. After selecting this, you will get suboptions from the “Local Files” as shown in the below image.
- Click on the “Verify Integrity of games Files.” Now steam verifies the game files integrity.
- Now try to Update Steam Games. If you are still facing the error, then follow the other checkpoint.
Check by Reset Winsock
If you are facing an error like Content File Locked Steam Error, then there must be a reason for the Winsock catalog. Once you reset this, it will reset all configuration of the computer and internet connectivity, so if you are facing an error because of malicious file downloads, then it will solve this error.
So, follow the below steps to reset the windsock to overcome the error “Fix content file locked steam” while updating games into steam.
- Type “cmd” in the search bar at the bottom left corner.
- It will open the Command Prompt as administrator.
- Now type “netsh Winsock reset” and press the enter button.
- Now you will see that “Successfully reset the Winsock catalog.” Now you must restart the computer to see the effect.
After resetting Winsock, you should try to update steam gaming files. Even if it can not solve, then follow the next checkpoint.
Check by Changing Steam Location and game File Locations.
If you are still getting the error, then another checkpoint for you is to check game integrity after changing the location of Steam and Game file. To do so, you need to follow the below steps:
- Open the Steam Client and navigate to the setting option.
- Here you will find Downloads Option. Click on it and Select “Steam Library Folder.”
- Now add the New Folder for the New steam app download location.
- Here you have to move the existing files to the New location, which you just created.
- Close the Steam Client and go to recent steam directory likewise (C: \Program Files \Steam)
- Delete all the files available in this folder. These files are for older steam. Make sure, and you do not have to delete “SteamApps” and “User Data.” Don’t remove the Installing exe file.
- Now install the steam again. Now this time, it will fit into the new folder which you have selected as the default path.
Mostly by following these steps the problem is getting solved. But is you still facing this problem then you have to follow the below steps:
- Right-click on the Steam App and select the option “Open File Location.”
- Copy the folder SteamApps to the desktop or any other folder.
- Also, keep the exe file stored into the desktop or another folder.
- Now uninstall the Steam App and restart your PC to stop all background processes.
- Once again, install the steam app. Clear the installation process. Now swap the folder “SteamApps” to that folder, which you have stored at the desktop.
- It will restore your previous games data and saved setting.
- Now launch the Steam app and try to update the Steam and game files.
- Verify your integrity with steam game files.
Check by Scanning Hard Disk
Many times, it has been observed that some corrupted files existence in your hard disk occurred the gameplay error like “Steam Content file locked.” So, follow the below steps to scan your hard drive.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing “cmd” in the search bar.
- Now the command prompt will be open. Enter the command “chkdsk c: /f” and hit Enter.
- It will scan the complete hard drive for corrupted files.
- After scanning, restart the computer and try to update the steam game and files.
These are the most probable checkpoints by which you can solve the error and Fix Steam Content File Locked error. We hope by checking these checkpoints, you will resolve this error. We can assure you that you can solve the error by these methods.