Two finger scroll not working? Try to operate the trackpad with two fingers but it’s not responding? It’s not new and many people have faced the same problem. Sometimes it’s just a common error and their laptop doesn’t support two finger scrolls but most of the time it could be an internal error. In this article, we will talk about how to fix two finger scroll not working and other methods to solve the issue.
What is Two Finger Scroll in Windows 10?
Most of the laptops that have a touchpad or trackpad which works with one finger which is the same as a mouse. They can select and click on the object and move around with the cursor. But in some touchpad, when two fingers are move across the touchpad, it will scroll the page. It can move up, down, or sideways. These features come in handy when users need to scroll and don’t want to keep pressing the down button. This feature is available on every Mac laptop and some of the latest laptops in windows as well. Sometimes when Two Finger Scrolling not working on a laptop caused by simple features that need to be enabled. Other times two finger scroll doesn’t work because the touchpad drivers are corrupted or outdated. Read the article below to learn how to fix two finger scroll not working in windows 10.
How to Fix Two Finger Scroll Not Working?
There are several methods which can fix two finger scrolling not working on Windows 10. We will describe each method with step by step direction to fix the issue.
1 Enable Two Finger Scrolling in Windows 10
If you are wondering how to enable scrolling on touchpad, then here is the step by step guide on how to enable two finger scrolling feature in the laptop if it’s available.
From device setting
- Open windows setting or press windows key and I button
- Then open the device in the window setting
- Then click on the touchpad menu on the left side
- After that go to Scroll and zoom and check the box in Drag two fingers to scroll
When users check the box, just closed the window and try to use the two finger scrolling that it’s working or not. This method is from device setting, users can also fix two finger scroll not working from mouse properties as well.
From mouse properties
- Open mouse properties or go to run windows and type “main.cpl”
- Now in the mouse properties, go to device settings or touchpad setting
- Then select the touchpad driver, one of the common ones is synaptic touchpad.
- Now click on the setting tab after selecting synaptic touchpad
- Then in settings, you will find a checkbox same as the other one with two finger scrolling, check the box and close the windows
- Restart the laptop to apply settings properly
These are two methods to enable two finger scrolling in windows 10. This is one of the common solutions to this issue. Most of the time if the manufacturer of the laptop supports two finger scrolls then users just need to enable the touchpad settings. If this method doesn’t work, then try other method mentioned below for two finger scroll not working issue.
2 Reinstall Touchpad Drivers
If the above method won’t work then try reinstalling touchpad drivers. Drivers works as communication between hardware and software, if any driver gets corrupted, it will malfunction the hardware. One of the common occurrences in driver corruption happens when windows get updated or upgraded. Sometimes hardware doesn’t support the driver and stop working. Here is how to reinstall Touchpad driver to solve Two Finger Scroll Not Working.
- Go to the device manager or open run windows and type devmgmt.msc
- After that, find Mice and other pointing devices
- In the find the touchpad driver, one of the common one synaptic touchpad
- Now right click on the synaptic touchpad and go to properties
- Now in the touchpad windows, click on the uninstall
- After that, go to action and click on scan for hardware changes
- Now windows will reinstall touchpad drivers
It will solve the issue with Two Finger Scroll Not Working. Once the windows will reinstall the driver, it will start working properly. If the issue still persists, then try other methods.
3 Roll Back Touchpad Drivers
Rollback is one of the best features in the window. When windows update new drivers and it stops working, then it means that hardware is not compatible with the driver. If the user’s laptop doesn’t support the new updated driver then it will stop working. The easiest way to solve this issue is to roll back the driver to the previous update which was working fine. If users cannot figure out why their two finger scroll is not working suddenly, then this might be the issue. Here is how to roll back touchpad drivers.
- Go to the device setting
- Now select the touchpad driver and then right-click on it to go to properties
- Now in the properties, users will find the roll back option under update driver
- Click on it and it will open new windows
- Now windows will confirm this step by asking permission, simply select the option of the previous version of the driver performed better or more reliable or any other option. Then click on the yes button
- It will roll back the driver and now users need to restart the laptop and see the changes
Sometimes when users try to roll back drivers, they will find the rollback button greyed. It means there is no previous version available to rollback.
If users find this option that means they can not solve two finger scroll not working issue with the rollback driver. Try other methods as we have mentioned below.
4 Change Mouse Pointer in Windows 10
One of the common solutions we found for two finger scrolling not working is to change mouse pointer in Windows 10. Changing the mouse cursor somehow fix the scrolling issue and many people posted that once they change mouse pointer, their two finger scroll started working. Here is how to change mouse cursor to fix two finger scroll not working issue.
- Go to the search bar and type mouse setting and click on mouse setting, then go to additional mouse setting on the right side
- Another method is to go to the control panel and find the device and printer and then go to the touchpad. Now right-click on it and click on the touchpad setting.
- This one is similar to the touchpad mouse pointers
- Now select another scheme and then click on the apply
Now try for two finger scrolling on the touchpad, most probably it will solve the issue. If the two finger scroll not working in windows 10 even after changing mouse pointer, then try other methods.
5 Update Touchpad Drivers
One of the simplest solutions could be updating the touchpad driver. This is on the contrary to the rollback feature, maybe with a new window update, the touchpad driver stop supporting the old driver. Updating the touchpad driver could simply fix the two finger scroll not working issue. Here is how to update touchpad driver to fix two finger scrolling not working problems.
- Go to the device manager as we mentioned above
- Now find the touchpad driver and right-click on it and click on the update button
- Now windows will provide two option, search automatically for update or find the update on the pc, click on the first option.
Now windows find the update for touchpad and install it. Just restart the PC to finish the installation process. Users can also try third-party software for hardware updates. Once the user downloads them, they will provide thorough reports on which hardware driver needs an update or which updates are available. After that try the two finger scrolling and if it doesn’t work then lastly we have try to provide a solution with the registry editor.
6 Windows Registry Edit
One of the final solutions to two finger scroll not working is to edit touchpad registry in windows. Registry editor is a window feature that allows users to access some of the settings which are not available in the control panel or device manager. Some of the settings can be changed manually from the registry editor which windows doesn’t allow the user to do even with admin permission. If you have exhausted all the methods and tricks to solve two finger scrolling not working issues then here is the registry editor method.
- Go to run windows and write down “regedit”
- Now find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and then find your touchpad driver name, which should be like Synaptics\SynTP\TouchPadPS2
- Now change the registry setting like below
- Go to 2FingerTapPluginID and 3FingerTapPluginID and check for value and make sure its zero
- Now go to MultiFingerTapFlags and change the value from 2 to 3
- Then go to 3FingerTapAction and change the value by double-clicking on the registry and change it to 4
- After that go to 3FingerTapPluginActionID and change the value to 0
- Lastly, go to 2FingerTapAction and change the value to 2 for right-click to work, if users want middle-click to work then change it to 4
Once users change the registry setting, they need to restart their laptops in order to make sure that new settings will work. Now try the two finger scrolling to know its working or not. This method is the last resort for touchpad settings and if it doesn’t work then make sure to change all the registry settings to normal.
One of the last methods is not a trick but it’s the simple solution we often use. Discount all the wires and devices from the laptop and remove the battery. After that connect the charger and start the laptop, make sure to select the start window normally option and then try the touchpad for two finger scroll not working issue.
FAQ for Two Finger Scroll Not Working
1 How do I enable two finger scrolling?
Go to the window setting and then devices, now select touchpad. After that check the box that says Drag two fingers to scroll. After that users can operate their touchpad and use the two finger scrolling feature.
2 Why two finger scroll not working on my laptop?
One of the common solutions is to enable drag two fingers to scroll feature in touchpad. If that method doesn’t work that there are few other ways to solve two finger scroll not working issue like reinstalling touchpad driver, rollback driver, updating it, changing mouse pointer, and editing windows registry for touchpad.
3 How to rollback touchpad driver?
Go to device setting and select touchpad driver, now go to properties and you will find an option for rollback. If the rollback option is greyed then users cannot rollback touchpad driver.
In this article, we have written about how to fix Two Finger Scroll Not Working issue. We have mentioned several ways to fix the issue and provided step by step guide for it. If you still have questions regarding Two Finger Scrolling Not Working, then ask us in the comment section.