Are you looking for a detailed guide that takes you through the steps needed to open APK files on Android, APK files on Windows, install APK on iOS, or APK files on macOS?
Then today you’re at the right place as we have all the information you need in this article.
- 1 What is an APK File?
- 2 How to Open APK files on Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS?
What is an APK File?
Any file that comes with the “.APK” file extension is called an APK file.
The short form APK stands for Android Package and any files with the “.APK” extension are meant to be installed on Android devices.
All the applications that you download and install from the Google Play Store or other third-party sources on any Android device(s) need to be in the “.APK” file format.
Any applications that aren’t in the “.APK” file format won’t be installed on any Android device.
Why Would You Install an APK file on Windows, iOS or macOS?
It is understood that APK files are proprietary file extensions that are meant to be installed on Android devices.
But, why would you install an APK file on Windows or macOS machines?
Well, there are millions of applications that are available for the Android operating system.
Not all applications that are available on the Android operating system will have separate versions that support the Windows, macOS, or iOS platforms.
Even though Android devices are great performers, people may need to use the same applications that they use on their Android devices on other devices that are powered by either Windows, macOS, or iOS.
As Android is the most popular mobile operating system out there, there are several techniques developed in recent years that let you install and run Android APK files on devices running other operating systems and run the apps.
How to Open APK files on Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS?
Now that you know about the Android Package, a.k.a. APK files, below we have listed out the different ways you can install APK files on Android, iOS, Windows and macOS.
How to Open/Install APK Files on Android?
As we mentioned above, all the applications that you download from the Google Play Store are in the APK file format.
Any applications that are downloaded from the Google Play Store installs directly on your device. This means that you do not have to manually run the APK files if the particular app is being installed from the Google Play Store.
For applications that are downloaded from third-party sources, below are the steps to install APK files on Android.
- First of all, make sure that the app file that you’re downloading is in the APK file format.
- After downloading the file, using any File Manager application that is installed on your Android device, navigate to the location where the APK file is downloaded and double-click on the downloaded APK file.
- While trying to launch the APK file, you may be asked to allow installations from third-party sources on your device. Enable this feature on your device.
- Now, click on the APK file again and follow the on-screen instructions.
If the installation of the APK file completes successfully, it means that the app has been installed on your device.
You can then later launch the application from your device’s app drawer.
How to Open/Install APK Files on iOS?
APK files cannot be natively installed on iOS devices. However, there are emulators that can run Android applications on the iOS operating system.
Below is how you can open APK files on iOS using the free Dalvik emulator for iOS.
You’ll need to jailbreak your iOS device and install the Cydia application before following the below steps.
- Download and install the Dalvik Android emulator for iOS from here on your iOS device.
- Now, you need to download the APK file of the Android application that you’re trying to install on your iOS device.
- After the APK file is downloaded, move the file to the internal storage space of your iOS device.
- Now, using the Dalvik Android emulator application installed on your iOS device, install the APK file of the Android application.
And that is it. You have now successfully opened/installed the APK file on iOS device.
How to Install/Open APK Files on Windows?
If you’re looking to install and run Android apps on Windows computers, then the BlueStacks software for Windows is a great option to install APK files on Windows.
Below are the steps to follow to install/open APK files on the Windows operating system.
- Download and install the BlueStacks Android emulator for Windows from here on your PC.
- Now, you need to download the APK file of the Android application that you wish to install on your Windows computer.
- After finishing the download of the APK file, open the same file using the BlueStacks emulator for Windows.
- The installation of the APK file will now begin on your Windows PC.
Once the installation finishes, you will then be able to see the icon of the installed Android app on your PC. Clicking on the icon will launch the Android app on your Windows computer.
How to Open APK Files on macOS?
If you’re trying to install APK files on macOS, then you can do the same using the BlueStacks as the software is also available to download and install on macOS.
Once you download and install the BlueStacks software on your macOS machine, you can follow the same steps as above to download and install APK files on your macOS machine using BlueStacks.
How to fix APK Installation Error on macOS and Windows?
If you’re facing the “APK Installation Error” while trying to install APK files on your Windows or macOS machine, try following the below solutions.
Solution 1: Update Windows/macOS Drivers:
The first solution is to try and update the device drivers that are installed on your computer. Outdated device drivers could be the reason why you’re facing the APK installation error.
Solution 2: Redownload the APK File:
A corrupted APK file itself could be the reason you’re facing the APK Installation error on your macOS or Windows computer.
Now, try to redownload the APK file, possibly from a different source, and try to install again on your computer.
Solution 3: Try a Different Android Emulator
In this article we have used the BlueStacks Android emulator to install APK files on Windows and macOS.
However, if you’re facing difficulties on your computer while trying to install the APK file on your computer using BlueStacks, you can try a different Android emulator for Windows or macOS.
We hope you found this article on how to open APK files on Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS as helpful.
If you’ve got any queries, get in touch with us by leaving a comment below and we will help you out.