MsMpEng.exe is the core process of the Windows Defender Antimalware Application, which scans installed software to detect spyware, viruses constantly. Moreover, helps the system to rectify harmful software and present it to the user. Rarely, you might find the problem msmpeng.exe High CPU Usage, investing a few minutes reading the article will help you to understand the main causes and the fixing methods for msmpeng.exe high CPU.
Below-stated are the main causes for msmpeng.exe high CPU:
- Low hardware resources
- Old registry files stored
- Malware/Viruses that exist in the Windows System.
- Faulty anti-virus software installed
- MsMpEng.exe Scanning its own directory
- Corrupted registry files
Fixing methods for MsMpEng.exe high CPU usage in Windows
Insist you to implement the stated methods one after another in Windows Operating System and check whether MsMpEng exe High CPU problem is fixed or not.
Limit CPU Usage MsMpEng exe
- Type task manager in Windows Search bar and hit enter.
- Click on Details option from the list to continue,
- Find MsMpEng.exe option from the given list.
- Right-click on MsMpEng exe option and click on Set affinity option and select CPU limit threshold (enable it).
Start Windows System in Safe Mode.
- Type Settings in Windows Search and hit enter.
- Click on “Update & Security” option.
- Next step is to click on “Recovery” option
- Click on “Restart Now” Tab. Press F4 Function key while restarting your Windows PC to turn it on in safe mode.
Reschedule Windows Defender
- Type Task Scheduler in Windows Search bar.
- Double-Click on “Task Scheduler library” option
- Select Microsoft folder from the list.
- Select Windows Folder to continue
- Click on Windows Defender folder
- Next step is to click on “Windows Defender Scheduled Scan Properties” option
- Kindly, choose the Triggers option and click on New Tab.
- Now, select the time to reschedule Windows Defender, you can select Monthly or Weekly option.
- Select the dates to reschedule Windows Defender in your Operating System you can even select all of them, if needed. Once done, give the checkmark on Enabled Blank box and click OK Tab.
Disable Sample Submission
Still finding the issue msmpeng.exe high CPU? Insist you to follow the step in your Windows Operating System. Automatic sample submission consumes High CPU Usage in your Windows PC. Follow the steps to disable it.
- Type Settings in Windows Search bar and hit enter
- Click on Update & Security option.
- Click on Windows Security Option.
- Next step is to click on “Virus & threat protection” option
- You will find the Manage Settings option under “Virus & threat protection settings” Click on it.
- Kindly, disable Automatic sample submission option in your Windows PC.
- Once done, restart your Windows PC. Hopefully, the problem msmpeng.exe high CPU might vanish.
FAQ for msmpeng.exe high CPU
- Why is my system taking up so much CPU?
Due to lack of system software updates or driver updates in Windows Operating System you might find the problem High CPU Usage. Check for new updates in your Windows System. If any, download and install the same.
- How do I fix MsMpEng EXE high CPU usage?
Kindly, implement the stated methods in your Windows System to fix MsMpEng.EXE high CPU usage problem.
- Limit CPU Usage MsMpEng exe
- Start Windows System in Safe Mode
- Reschedule Windows Defender
- Disable Sample Submission
- Is Windows Defender always running?
Yes, Windows Defender always stays active in system background to detect malware or specific viruses affecting the Windows System.
We’re glad to introduce the fixing methods for msmpeng.exe high CPU problems, in this article. If you have any doubts or queries kindly, note them in the comment section. We will look into it!